Kids Birthday Party Accidentally Served Alcohol...Or Was It?
Thirteen children were taken to a hospital Tuesday night after their guardians thought they accidentally ingested alcohol at a Little Village restaurant, but police say none had alcohol in their systems.
Six adults and 13 children were at Home Run Inn at 4524 W. 31st St. about 9:40 p.m. The group ordered fruit punch drinks for the children, and when the waitress brought out the drinks, the group complained they were one drink short.
The waitress went back to the bar and saw a lone drink, the same color as the fruit punch in a similiarly-sized cup, and brought it to the table, police said.
The little girl complained to her parent that the punch tasted funny, and the parent smelled alcohol in the drink, police said.
The waitress came back to the table and took all the cups away from the children, police said. When officers arrived, the 7-year-old told officers she drank from the cup. A moment later, all the kids told police they had drank from the cup.
All of the children were taken to a local hospital, but none had even a trace of alcohol in their systems, police said.
The restaurant complained that the group left without paying their bill, police said, but no citations were issued. Police said all the restaurant’s licenses were up to date.